If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: An old fashioned apple bread passed down from one generation to the next. —Oat&Sesame
Makes 10-12 slices
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1.5 tablespoons sour milk (I add a bit of apple-cider vinegar to sour the milk)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup raw apples (chopped into ½" pieces, not peeled) - I used both green and red.
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts (walnuts are my preference)
- Cream sugar and butter.
- Add beaten eggs, sour milk, and vanilla.
- Add dry ingredients and mix until just incorporated and smooth.
- Add apples and nuts. Don't overmix!
- Bake in a greased loaf pan at 350 degrees for about 40-45 minutes. I used 5 x 8.
- Or if baking as 3 mini loaves 40 minutes, checking after 30.
- *if you prefer a softer crust, about halfway through baking, loosely cover the bread with foil. I remember Nini's bread always tender and soft on top.
- NOTES *It's good practice to taste your apples before choosing which ones to use. Bland apples will result in bland bread! I like a mix of tart and sweet together.