- Makes 64
This recipe handed down from my mother and her mother was always a holiday favorite. Crispy and Flaky, meaty from nuts are just a delight to eat. —loubaby
1 1/2 cups
1 1/2 cups
walnuts, finely ground in blender
In This Recipe
- 1. Dough: Combine flour and salt in medium-sized bowl. Add yeast and butter and cut butter into flour using a pastry blender or 2 knives like you would for a pie crust until mixture resembles small crumbs.
- 2. Combine sour cream, yolks and vanilla in small bowl; add to flour mixture and combine to form dough.
- 3. Filling: Beat egg whites and vanilla extract until foamy; gradually add in the sugar and beat until stiff. Fold in nuts. Chill.
- 4. Preheat oven to 325. Cut dough into 8 balls. Roll out each ball into a circle on a board with rolling pin that is sprinkled with Powdered sugar (instead of flour like you normally do a pie) until it is thin like a pie crust would be. Cut each circle into 8 pie-shaped wedges. Place about 2 tsp. of filling on each wedge and spread to cover almost to edge. (Be generous with filling but if too full, the filling will ooze out too much on baking sheet.)
- Roll up dough over filling like a crescent roll and turn ends around slightly to make crescent horn shape.
- 5. Place cookies about 1 ½ inches apart on parchment-lined or greased flat cookie sheets. Bake at 325 for about 40 minutes or until lightly browned on bottom of cookies. Cool on wire rack.
- 6. Sprinkle cookies with more powdered sugar. These cookies freeze very well.