If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This recipe was adapted from the Treasury of Christmas Cookies cookbook and has been used in my family since I was a young girl every Christmas. I love to decorate with royal icing, but a simple buttercream or glaze also works. —Blair
Makes: 72 cookies
ounces cream cheese
teaspoon vanilla extract
teaspoon almond extract
cups all purpose flour
teaspoon baking powder
- In large bowl, beat the shortening and cream cheese until well combined.
- Add the sugar and beat until fluffy. Add the egg, vanilla and almond extracts, and beat well.
- in a small bowl, combine the flour and baking powder. Add dry ingredients to the cream cheese mixture and beat until well mixed.
- Divide dough in half; wrap each half in wax paper or plastic wrap, and place in fridge for 1.5 hours. This can also be done a day or two before.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Roll out the dough to 1/8 inch thickness on a lightly floured surface. Cut out dough with desired cookie cutters.
- Place cut outs on parchment paper lined baking sheets, and bake for 8-10 minutes, or until edges are lightly browned.
- Remove to wire racks to cool completely. Frost or ice cookies with desired icing.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Holiday Cookie from Anywhere in the World