Author Notes: This recipe was adapted from the Treasury of Christmas Cookies cookbook and has been used in my family since I was a young girl every Christmas. I love to decorate with royal icing, but a simple buttercream or glaze also works. —Blair
Makes: 72 cookies
ounces cream cheese
teaspoon vanilla extract
teaspoon almond extract
cups all purpose flour
teaspoon baking powder
- In large bowl, beat the shortening and cream cheese until well combined.
- Add the sugar and beat until fluffy. Add the egg, vanilla and almond extracts, and beat well.
- in a small bowl, combine the flour and baking powder. Add dry ingredients to the cream cheese mixture and beat until well mixed.
- Divide dough in half; wrap each half in wax paper or plastic wrap, and place in fridge for 1.5 hours. This can also be done a day or two before.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Roll out the dough to 1/8 inch thickness on a lightly floured surface. Cut out dough with desired cookie cutters.
- Place cut outs on parchment paper lined baking sheets, and bake for 8-10 minutes, or until edges are lightly browned.
- Remove to wire racks to cool completely. Frost or ice cookies with desired icing.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Holiday Cookie from Anywhere in the World