If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Butter, sugar, water and a little bit of vanilla (substitute in some bourbon for an adult appropriate Halloween treat) are what make up this sweet and crunchy bite. What else is so great about this homemade candy? You can top it with whatever you choose! Whether leaving it au natural or dressing it up, your taste buds will thank you. To be honest, it is Halloween, where dressing up is pretty magical (minus ages 18-22), so why not give your buttercrunch some flair as well! Covered with melted chocolate, sprinkled with cinnamon, salt and toasted pepitas, your candy has a pretty tasty costume! —Katie Bem
teaspoon Vanilla Extract
ounces 70% Chocolate
cups Toasted Pumpkin Seeds
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter.
- Add in the sugar, water and salt; stir.
- At medium heat and while constantly stirring, cook your toffee until it reaches 295˚F.
- Remove from the heat and add in your vanilla. *To make this toffee a little unique, replace the vanilla with an equal amount of bourbon!*
- Pour onto a sheet pan that has been lined with parchment or a silpat.
- Spread quickly with a spatula and allow to set.
- Once the candy has set, blot with a towel to pick up any oil that has come to the surface.
- Make a double boiler using a small saucepan filled with water and a heat proof bowl.
- Place your chocolate in the bowl and, over low heat, melt the chocolate. I like to use a dark chocolate between 70%-80% to cover this candy. The toffee is so wonderfully sweet, that a darker chocolate gives balance to the end result.
- Once the chocolate has melted, pour over your toffee and spread with an offset spatula.
- Sprinkle with salt and toasted pumpkin seeds! (To toast the seeds, spread on a sheet pan and put in an oven set at 300˚ F for about 8-10 minutes.)
- Once the chocolate has set, break apart the toffee in large or small random sized pieces and enjoy!