If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Adapted from a recipe in the The Baker’s Manual, by Amendola/Rees. This is a luscious coffee cake loaded with bits of chocolate and chopped cherries. It has been a standout at every function or potluck I have made it for! —Nancy Mock
- 3-3/4 cups all-purpose flour, unbleached, divided
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/3 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup vanilla-flavored yogurt
- 5 eggs
- 4 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, chips or chopped into small pieces
- 2 cups cherries, pitted
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Grease and flour a 9″ springform pan. Set aside.
- Place the cherries into a food processor and pulse several times to finely chop them. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together 3 cups of the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, blend the butter and sugar together on medium speed until light and fluffy. Add in the yogurt and blend to combine. Add in the eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Add in the flour mixture to the bowl in three batches, mixing slowly after each batch until just combined.
- Use a rubber spatula to stir the chopped chocolate or chocolate chips and the cherries into the batter. Stir them in until just combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared springform pan and spread it to an even layer.
- In a small bowl, stir together the streusel ingredients: 3/4 c. flour, brown sugar and melted butter. (Or use a hand mixer if preferred.) The mixture should look crumbly with pea-size pieces or smaller. Sprinkle the streusel in an even layer over the top of the batter.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 1 hour 30 minutes, checking the cake after 1 hour 10 minutes with a tester inserted into the center. The tester should come out clean, remove it from the oven as soon as this happens.
- Allow to cool on a wire rack for about 20 minutes. Run a knife along the inside edge before opening the springform sides. Cut into wedges to serve. Once completely cooled, the cake can be wrapped in plastic wrap and stored at room temperature for 3-4 days. Makes 8-10 good-sized portions.