If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Last winter I was looking for a way to bring sunshine of sorts into my kitchen, I had a bowl full of bright, beautiful, sweet Meyer lemons. Meyer Lemon Bars with a brown-butter-pistachio crust and a luscious but not-too-sweet, Meyer-lemon filling was just the thing. This recipe is an updated version of a classic lemon bar, but with extra egg and less sugar, and a special pistachio crust. I featured these in a post on my food blog, atyvonnestable.com. —at yvonne's table
Makes: 20 medium lemon bars
Pistachio Brown Butter Crust
tablespoons unsalted butter
cup shelled, unsalted pistachios
cups all purpose flour
cup raw or granulated sugar (i like the depth of flavor with the raw sugar)
pinch of kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Line a 13 x 9 x 2 inch baking pan with parchment and set aside.
- Place the butter in a small saucepan over moderate heat. First the butter will foam in the pan (as the water evaporates, the milk solids are separated from the butterfat). Watch carefully as the foam subsides and the milk solids brown and begin to form on the bottom of the pan. You will notice a lovely nutty smell (the French call brown butter beurre noisette or hazelnut butter). Remove from heat and if not using immediately pour into a bowl to stop the browning and perhaps burning.
- To the bowl of your food processor add the pistachios and sugar and process until the nuts and finely ground. Then add the flour and salt and process for another minute until well blended. Pour the browned butter in through the feeder tube until a the dough forms into a semi-cohesive ball. It will be very sandy in texture. Remove the blade and pour the mixture into the prepared baking pan. Then press the dough evenly across the bottom and 1/8 inch up the sides of the pan.
- Place pan in preheated oven and bake for 20-25 minutes until crust is golden brown.
Meyer Lemon Filling
large egg yolk
cups granulated sugar
pinch of kosher salt
cup all purpose flour
tablespoons lemon zest (or more to taste)
cup Meyer Lemon juice
- While the crust is baking make the filling. In a medium bowl mix together the flour and lemon zest and set aside.
- Whisk together the eggs, egg yolk, sugar, and lemon juice.
- Add flour mixture to the egg mixture, whisk until smooth and pour over hot crust.
- Decrease the oven temperature to 300° F and bake for 30-35 minutes, until the middle is set and does not jiggle
- Remove to a wire rack and allow to cool completely before cutting into bars. Lightly sift confectioners’s sugar over the top before serving.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Brown Butter
More Great Recipes: