If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Sweet and spicy apple pie,with the richness of browned butter and dark rum! —cookingcontestjunkie
- 1 double crust 9-inch pie pastry dough
- 3 3/4 pounds sweet tart apples,such as granny smith,braeburn,pink lady
- 1/3 plus 1/4 cups granulated sugar and brown sugar
- 1/4 cup dark spiced rum
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter,cut in cubes
- 4 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons milk,or cream
- Peel and core apples and slice them into 1/4 inch thick slices.Add butter to a large saute pan and cook over medium heat until it begins to lightly brown.Pour browned butter into small bowl and set aside.Wipe out pan and add second pan to stove top.Divide 1/3 cup sugar between the two pans and over medium-high heat,cook the sugar until it caramelizes.Add apple slices and saute 10 minutes.Stir apples to cook evenly.Pour apples into large bowl with browned butter,2 tablespoons brown sugar,rum,cornstarch,spices and salt.Mix to combine.Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line 9-inch pie pan with 1/2 of pastry.Pour apple filling into crust,top with second half of rolled dough,press edges together,vent and brush top of pie with milk or cream and sprinkle with remaining brown sugar.Bake pie 30 minutes,tent with foil and bake 1 hour.Remove foil and bake 30 more minutes.Remove from oven and let cool 1 hour.Serve warm with ice cream or cinnamon-rum whipped cream(add 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon,1 tablespoon dark rum and 2-3 tablespoons confectioners sugar to 1 cup whipping cream and beat until soft peaks form)
More Great Recipes: Desserts