If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Special equipment required: a cookie press! These may be the underdogs of your cookie platter, but what they lack in splendor they make up for in CHRISTMAS SPIRIT. Little green wreaths and trees galore. —Kendra Vaculin
Makes about 4 dozen
- 2 sticks (1 cup) unsalted butter, soft
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Green food coloring (liquid or gel)
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Sprinkles or colored sugar, for decorating
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- Beat butter and sugar together with an electric mixer at medium speed until fluffy and light. Add the egg and vanilla extract and continue to beat until combined.
- Add green food coloring drop by drop, using the electric mixer to incorporate, until you reach your desired hue; gel food coloring will take fewer drops than liquid. We usually go with 4 drops gel food coloring to get a nice pale green color (too too green creeps me out!).
- Add flour and salt to the green glop and mix in well with a wooden spoon.
- Pack the dough into your cookie press, fitted with the disk design for wreathes or trees. Press the dough into your shapes on a cookie sheet, spaced about 1 inch apart. Don’t grease your cookie sheet or use parchment paper—the stickiness will help get your shape out of your press. Decorate your shapes with sprinkles or colored sugar if using.
- Bake until slightly golden at the bottom edges, about 7 to 9 minutes. Transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!