Author Notes: DIY holiday gift because the best gifts come from the heart. —Rachel (Simple Seasonal)
quart canning jar with a lid and ring
cups all-purpose flour
cups old-fashioned oats
tablespoon baking powder
cup dried, finely chopped cherries
cup mini chocolate chips
cup (1 stick) melted butter
cup buttermilk or milk
egg lightly beaten
In This Recipe
- TO MAKE JARS FOR GIFTING:
- Add 1 1/2 C all-purpose flour to the jar.
- Then 1 Tbsp of baking powder.
- And 1/4 tsp salt.
- Quickly slide the jar back and forth on the table to pat down the ingredients with vibration. Going forward you’ll continue to do this after you add each ingredient.
- Add 1 1/4 C old-fashioned oats to the jar and then quickly slide the jar back and forth on the table.
- Sprinkle in 3/4 C finely chopped dried cherries, and then vibrate the jar again.
- Add 1/4 C sugar, and then shake the jar back and forth on the table.
- Finally, add the chocolate chips.
- Using a spoon or a small mallet, gently pat down the ingredients.
- Fill any of the remaining headspace with a ball of plastic wrap so that it's a tight fit in the jar.
- Cut-out a 5”x5” swatch of a favorite material and close it between the jar’s lid and ring.
- Using ribbon or yarn, tie the directions card to the jar.
- TO BAKE:
- Combine jarred ingredients in a medium mixing bowl, breaking apart cherries with your fingers as needed.
- Stir in 1/2 C (1 stick) melted butter, 1/3 C milk or buttermilk, and 1 egg beaten.
- Spread the dough out into a rectangle that is about 1/3 inch thick and then cut into 12 triangle shapes. Spread the triangles out on a cookie sheet and bake in a 350ºF oven for 16-18 minutes.