If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: DIY holiday gift because the best gifts come from the heart. —Rachel (Simple Seasonal)
quart canning jar with a lid and ring
cups all-purpose flour
cups old-fashioned oats
tablespoon baking powder
cup dried, finely chopped cherries
cup mini chocolate chips
cup (1 stick) melted butter
cup buttermilk or milk
egg lightly beaten
- TO MAKE JARS FOR GIFTING:
- Add 1 1/2 C all-purpose flour to the jar.
- Then 1 Tbsp of baking powder.
- And 1/4 tsp salt.
- Quickly slide the jar back and forth on the table to pat down the ingredients with vibration. Going forward you’ll continue to do this after you add each ingredient.
- Add 1 1/4 C old-fashioned oats to the jar and then quickly slide the jar back and forth on the table.
- Sprinkle in 3/4 C finely chopped dried cherries, and then vibrate the jar again.
- Add 1/4 C sugar, and then shake the jar back and forth on the table.
- Finally, add the chocolate chips.
- Using a spoon or a small mallet, gently pat down the ingredients.
- Fill any of the remaining headspace with a ball of plastic wrap so that it's a tight fit in the jar.
- Cut-out a 5”x5” swatch of a favorite material and close it between the jar’s lid and ring.
- Using ribbon or yarn, tie the directions card to the jar.
- TO BAKE:
- Combine jarred ingredients in a medium mixing bowl, breaking apart cherries with your fingers as needed.
- Stir in 1/2 C (1 stick) melted butter, 1/3 C milk or buttermilk, and 1 egg beaten.
- Spread the dough out into a rectangle that is about 1/3 inch thick and then cut into 12 triangle shapes. Spread the triangles out on a cookie sheet and bake in a 350ºF oven for 16-18 minutes.