Author Notes: So delightful on a chilly autumn/ winter night! —Jenna
cup white or yellow onion
sprig fresh basil
pounds pastene whole, peeled tomatoes
In This Recipe
- Chop the celery, onion and garlic and sautée with olive oil in a large saucepan.
- Once translucent, add 1-2 tablespoons of flour to create a rue.
- Use your hands to crush the whole tomatoes and slowly add to the saucepan with the celery, onion and garlic.
- Add salt & pepper to taste and let simmer for 15-20 minutes. Pour into a large mixing bowl or another pot - ladle the soup into a blender (about 1/3 of the blender at a time). Once puréed, place back on heat.
- Continue adding to the blender until the entire pot is puréed. Bring back to a simmer, serve & enjoy! (If you want to indulge, sprinkle fresh Parmesan & Romano cheese on top & serve with toasted, roasted garlic baguette).