If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Had this at Babette's Cafe in Atlanta and had to figure out how to make it. —pjcamp
- 1/2 pound unsalted butter softened
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 34 ounces almond flour
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 pounds dried tart cherries
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup port
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- powdered sugar for garnish
- In a stand mixer with a paddle,combine butter, sugar, salt and cinnamon at low speed until smooth and well mixed. Do not cream until light. Add almonds or almond flour and process just until incorporated. Add egg and vanilla and process just until absorbed. Add flour and process until evenly blended. Remove dough from mixer and divide into two portions, one 20 ounces and the other 14 ounces. Form each portion into disks, wrap tightly and chill at least 1 hour, or until ready to use. May be made up to 3 days ahead.
- In a medium saucepan, combine cherries, water and port and bring to a simmer. Cook over low heat until all liquid has been absorbed, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool completely. May be made up to 3 days ahead and refrigerated.
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 325 degrees. Thoroughly grease a 10-inch tart pan with fluted sides and removable bottom and arrange on a rimmed baking sheet. Remove the larger piece of dough from the refrigerator. Using parchment paper and flour if needed, roll out the dough to a circle 1/8-inch thick. Gently move dough into prepared tart pan. If it tears, patch the pieces together. I had to just plop the pieces in and push it around with my fingers. Trim edges, line tart shell with parchment paper and fill with beans. Bake 15 minutes, then remove from oven, remove beans and parchment paper and return tart shell to oven. Bake until bottom is cooked through, about 10 minutes more. Remove from oven and allow to cool completely. Do not turn off oven.
- While tart shell is baking, Using parchment paper and flour if needed, roll out smaller disk of dough into a rectangle 1/8-inch thick. Move dough to a baking sheet and freeze. When tart shell is cool, whisk cream with almond extract then toss with cooled cherries. Spread filling evenly in tart shell.
- Remove dough from freezer and and press on top of the rest of the tart to create a seal. Cut some air holes, and bake until the top crust dough is golden brown, roughly 30 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool before serving. Dust slices with powdered sugar just before serving.