If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Pinchos morunos. Skewers of lamb or pork heavily seasoned with a mixture of cumin, ginger, sweet paprika, saffron, turmeric and coriander. It’s a dish that brings me back to Café Iruña in Bilbao, where they're served every evening with hunks of crusty bread.
This recipe, featuring roasted lamb shoulder chop, is inspired by pinchos morunos, with my updates of: avocado, sriracha mayo and cilantro, all served on a steamed bun. Basically a mash-up of my favorite things. —Caitlin | Back2Spain
- 1 half pound lamb shoulder chop, bone in (not a lamb fan? try pork tenderloin)
- spices - either: a mixture of cumin, coriander, sweet paprika, turmeric, ginger, ginger and saffron; Ras el Hanout; or Berbere spices
- 1 ripe avocado, cut in half, skin and pit removed
- 1 handful cilantro, stems removed
- 2 steamed buns
- 1 tablespoon mayo, mixed with 1 tablespoon sriracha
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Place your lamb chop in a large bowl. Add olive oil to coat on all sides, then coat with spices on all sides. Use your hand to rub the spices into the meat. Then sprinkle crunchy salt on all sides. Refrigerate for at least an hour.
- Remove lamb from the refrigerator and let it sit at room temperature for 15-30 minutes (depending on how cold it is). Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Sprinkle lamb with crunchy salt and cook in a baking dish lined with tinfoil for 25 – 30 minutes, flipping the lamb about halfway through. Cut into the middle to test for doneness to your liking.
- While lamb is cooking, boil 2 cups of water in a small pot. Place buns in a steamer basket and place the basket in the pot, then cover it. Let buns cook for a couple minutes then remove to a plate.
- Cut lamb chop in half and cut out any bones or excessively fatty parts. Each lambwich gets a half.
- Assemble your lambwiches - one half avocado, one tbsp sriracha mayo and a small handful of cilantro on each sandwich - and eat immediately.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for The Best Thing You Ate This Year