If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: About a month ago I was in my supermarket and I saw a pastrami smoked salmon but since one of the ingredients was garlic, and I'm allergic, it prompted me to come up with my own recipe. The result was a savory, sweet salmon that makes a world class mock ruben sandwich! It is by far my greatest creation this year and possibly ever. —nycnomad
Pastrami Spice Blend
- 1/2 teaspoon Ground Sea Salt
- 1 tablespoon Freshly Ground Ginger
- 1/8 cup Turbinado Cane Sugar
- 2 tablespoons Coriander Seed
- 1 tablespoon Peppercorns (Mixed)
- 2 tablespoons Fennel Seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon Ground Allspice
- 2 pinches Ground Cloves
- Grind the peppercorns, coriander and fennel seeds.
- Add the salt, ginger, cloves, allspice and sugar.
Pastrami Salmon Ruben Sandwich
- 2 Salmon Steaks
- Pastrami Spice Mix
- 1/3 cup Sauerkraut
- 4 Slices Rye Bread (I use Gluten-Free)
- 2-4 tablespoons Thousand Island Dressing
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- Coat the salmon steaks with the spice mix from above rubbing it into the meat gently but coating the meat thoroughly. Allow it to marinate for at least 3 hours.
- Heat the olive oil in a saute pan over a low flame. Cook the fish spice side down for 3-5 minutes or until slightly browned and crispy. Be careful not to let the flame get too high or the sugar will burn and smoke. Using tongs, gently turn the salmon and brown the other sides.
- Toast the slices of bread and prepare the thousand island dressing (I use a blend of vegan mayo and home made catsup with a bit of chopped sweet gherkin).
- Once the salmon has cooked through, about 6-10 mins, allow it to cool for a few minutes and then assemble the sandwich.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Salmon
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Jewish-Inspired Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for The Best Thing You Ate This Year