If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Over thirty years ago this recipe was given to me by a neighbor. The recipe was her mother's and I have made it every Christmas. There is no citron, pretty much your choice of dried fruit and nuts. This is how I make it. —Picholine
Serves two large loaves or five small
- 2 cups Plain Applesauce
- 2 teaspoons Baking Soda
- 2 tablespoons Butter
- 1 cup Granulated Sugar
- 2 Eggs Beaten
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 2 cups Flour
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon Cloves
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/2 cup Golden Raisins (1/2 box
- 1/2 cup Dark Raisins
- 1 1/2 cups Chopped Dates
- 1 1/2 cups Dried Chopped fruit, apricots, pineapples,cherries
- 1 1/2 cups Chopped Nuts (pecans or walnuts)
- 1/2 cup Dark Rum or more
- Warm 2 cups of Applesauce in a pan and mix in two tsp. of baking soda (. It will be frothy and turn darker. ) set aside.
- In a mixer bowl add 1 cup of sugar, 2 T butter , tsp vanilla and 2 beaten eggs. Mix till blended.
- In another bowl sift 2 cups flour ,1 tsp Cinnamon,1/2 tsp cloves and Tsp baking powder
- Add flour mix into mixer bowl alternately with applesauce and egg/sugar. Beat till all thoroughly mixed.
- Pour over fruit and nuts that have been placed in a large bowl and mix till thoroughly blended by hand.
- Spoon into sprayed pans and bake at 300°-325° degrees for an hour. Remove from oven and brush liberally with dark rum. When cakes are cooled wrap tightly with foil and leave at room temp for a few days. Can then be refridgerated for easier sliceing. Keeps for at least a month in fridge.