If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Sometimes, you just need that showcase element to your holiday table — for impressing visitors, for impressing family members… for impressing yourself. This vibrant winter cake isn’t as complicated as it looks, and it DEFINITELY fits the bill on that wow factor we mentioned. Make it for holiday brunch, and watch slices of the leftover cake disappear throughout the day! —Cava Grill
for the candied citrus
- 2 grapefruits
- 4 oranges
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3 tablespoons Cava Harissa
for the cake
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons orange zest
- 2 teaspoons grapefruit zest
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- for the glaze
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 5 to 6 tablespoons grapefruit juice
- 4 tablespoons reserved harissa syrup
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Lightly butter a bundt pan.
- Whisk flour, baking powder, and salt together in a bowl and set aside. Use an electric mixer fitted with the wire whip attachment to beat the sugar, eggs, and zests until pale and fluffy. Add in the milk and beat until combined. Then, with the mixer still running, gradually drizzle in the oil, continuing to beat until it’s fully incorporated. Next, carefully add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients, adding a half-cup or so at a time until combined. Pour batter into the prepared bundt pan and bake for about 30 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out with some moist crumbs attached.
- While the cake is cooking, prepare the glaze: Whisk the grapefruit juice, harissa syrup, and powdered sugar together, adding more grapefruit juice if needed to achieve a smooth, pourable consistency.
- Remove the cake from the oven and allow it to cool for a few minutes before running a paring knife carefully around the edges to help detach the cake from the pan. Carefully invert the bundt pan onto a cake stand.
- Drizzle the glaze evenly over the cake and allow 15 minutes or so for the glaze to set. Top with candied citrus peels, some extra orange zest, and a dusting of powdered sugar. Enjoy!