If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Jim Lahey's bread dough has changed my life. Liberated from store bought loaves, I bake bread each week, with variations. Mashed sweet potato and lightly browned onion makes this savory bread an anytime treat. Keep in mind this is a 18-24 hour process! —nykavi
Makes 1 loaf
cups A P Flour
teaspoon Instant Yeast
teaspoons Kosher Salt
medium sized Sweet Potatoes
teaspoon Canola Oil
- Boil and mash sweet potatoes. Cool and keep aside.
- Slice onion into 1/4 inch half moons. Heat oil in a saucepan and sauté onion slices till soft and light brow. Cool and keep aside.
- Whisk flour, yeast and salt in a large bowl.
- Add mashed sweet potato and onion. Using a spatula, mix gently so you have one homogeneous thick batter.
- Add water to batter and stir till you have a raggedy dough. Cover bowl and let it sit counter top for 18-24 hours.
- Heat oven to 450F. Put a cast iron saucepan into to the cold oven to heat.
- When the oven reaches 450F, take pan out of the oven. Use a dough scraper to carefully coax dough onto pan. Do this carefully as you do not want the dough to deflate.
- Bake for 45 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool on a rack for 30 minutes before you slice, slather or schmear with butter or goat cheese. Delicious!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for The Best Thing You Ate This Year
More Great Recipes: