Author Notes: Jim Lahey's bread dough has changed my life. Liberated from store bought loaves, I bake bread each week, with variations. Mashed sweet potato and lightly browned onion makes this savory bread an anytime treat. Keep in mind this is a 18-24 hour process! —nykavi
Makes: 1 loaf
cups A P Flour
teaspoon Instant Yeast
teaspoons Kosher Salt
medium sized Sweet Potatoes
teaspoon Canola Oil
- Boil and mash sweet potatoes. Cool and keep aside.
- Slice onion into 1/4 inch half moons. Heat oil in a saucepan and sauté onion slices till soft and light brow. Cool and keep aside.
- Whisk flour, yeast and salt in a large bowl.
- Add mashed sweet potato and onion. Using a spatula, mix gently so you have one homogeneous thick batter.
- Add water to batter and stir till you have a raggedy dough. Cover bowl and let it sit counter top for 18-24 hours.
- Heat oven to 450F. Put a cast iron saucepan into to the cold oven to heat.
- When the oven reaches 450F, take pan out of the oven. Use a dough scraper to carefully coax dough onto pan. Do this carefully as you do not want the dough to deflate.
- Bake for 45 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool on a rack for 30 minutes before you slice, slather or schmear with butter or goat cheese. Delicious!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for The Best Thing You Ate This Year
More Great Recipes: