Author Notes: This holiday season, try a batch of these festive, yet simple, Holiday Scotcheroos from Shugary Sweets! The Karo Syrup adds a chewy texture and the perfect amount of sweetness, while enhancing the creamy peanut butter and chocolate flavors in this fun take on classic scotcheroos. Photography and recipe adaptation courtesy of Aimee S. of Shugary Sweets. —Erin F.
Makes: 16 triangles
cup Karo Light Corn Syrup
cup granulated sugar
cup creamy peanut butter
drop green gel food coloring
cups corn flakes cereal
cup semi-sweet chocolate morsels, melted
cinnamon red hots
small twist pretzels
- Line two 8 or 9-inch round baking pans with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan, combine corn syrup with sugar. Heat over medium heat, stirring constantly until sugar dissolves. Bring mixture to a boil. Boil for 1 minute then remove from heat.
- Stir in peanut butter and food coloring until smooth. Add cereal and fold gently until evenly coated.
- Pour mixture into prepared baking pans. Pat gently with back of wooden spoon. Allow to cool and set, about 30 minutes.
- Remove from pans by lifting the parchment paper. Place on cutting board and cut each circle into 8 triangles. Separate slightly so there is a space between each triangle.
- For the Reindeer, add melted chocolate to a sandwich sized plastic bag. Snip off the corner and drizzle generously over the pan of scotcheroos, coating the top completely. Break each pretzel and add as antlers. Add the cinnamon red hot for the nose and candy eyes!
- Allow chocolate to set, about 10 minutes. Store in airtight container for several days to maintain freshness.