- Prep time 10 minutes
- Cook time 20 minutes
- Makes 2 cups
If you've ever had Tamari-Roasted Almonds, you know that they're great. What most people don't know is that they are very simple to make and taste 1000 times better. They have a better texture since they haven't been sitting around forever. (They should keep well, but I don't know since they're always gone within the week.) Lastly, these are healthy and they taste like junk food. (I think this is an umami situation.)
There are quite a few variations on tamari-roasted almonds out there. I like the cooking time and almond to tamari ratio from "The Invisible Vegan Video Cookbook" (link: https://www.youtube.com...). I added my own twist at the end--Toasted Sesame Oil--which makes the flavor more complex and keeps the almonds more moist.
NOTE: You need to monitor these or know your oven! I've burned almonds in 15 minutes at 300 degrees in one oven, and then had them undercooked in 30 minutes at 300 degrees in another. —philipm
toasted sesame oil
- Preheat oven to 300° F.
- Measure out 2 cups of raw almonds. (I always double the recipe or use whatever amount of almonds I have.)
- Lay almonds over your baking sheet and place in oven for 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven, flip almonds. Place in oven for another 10 minutes.
- Stop and check on the almonds every few minutes, especially if your oven runs hot. Cut one or two almonds in half to see if they're still white inside, turning darker, golden, golden brown, or burnt. The color outside does NOT guarantee the color inside. Return to oven until golden to golden brown. (See photos.)
- Pour almonds into a bowl. Pour tamari in over them. (I use low-sodium gluten/wheat free tamari.) It should sizzle/steam as you stir. Continue to stir almonds until all the tamari has coated the almonds and the liquid has evaporated.
- At this point, drizzle in some toasted sesame oil and stir.
- Taste the almonds but try not to eat them all. Add tamari or oil as needed.
- Turn off the oven. Distribute the coated almonds on the pan and return to the oven to dry for 10 minutes. Make sure to cool oven before if it was very hot or the almonds were almost burnt.
- Remove when dry. Eat. Store. Share. Make again. Adapt recipe.