Author Notes: In 2014 I invited Krithika for Christmas dinner. She arrived with an unbidden bowl of the most delicious dessert my daughter had ever tasted. Here it is! Infinitely malleable as long as you keep to the basics, so you can also add any fruit you like or serve fruit on the side. —luvcookbooks
Prep time: 30 min
cups Greek yogurt
cup superfine sugar
teaspoons milk, warmed in a small bowl on top of the stovetop while something else is cooking
cardamom pods, crushed
toasted almonds, to taste
- Put the saffron threads to steep in the milk on the stovetop. Let it steep for at least 10 or 15 minutes while you do something else.
- Stir the sugar into the yogurt. I want to digress to mention that if you are not cleaning out the refrigerator, the best ever luxury yogurt for this dish is White Mustache.
- Stir in the cardamom pods. Swirl in the infused milk and saffron threads so the color is streaked through the yogurt.
- Refrigerate the shrikhand. When ready to serve, sprinkle cooled toasted almonds (I like them with the skins still on, in large ish pieces) and serve. It is a beautiful dish and no one will ever think you are cleaning out the refrigerator!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe that Cleans Out the Fridge