If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: My husband and I were in San Francisco as the final stop on a drive up the PCH for our first wedding anniversary, and we stopped into Bi-Rite Creamery wanting to try their famous Sam's Sundae: chocolate ice cream topped with Maldon sea salt flakes and Bergamot olive oil. Due to a glitch with their olive oil distributor, it was sadly off the menu that night! I created this recipe to experience the flavor at home; get a good olive oil here as the flavor is the star. If you are lucky to live near a nice olive oil shop (like my old favorite from Columbus, Ohio, the Green Olive Company), I bet experimenting with different flavors would yield nice results, but I particularly like the perfumed orange flavor of bergamot. Enjoy! —Emily | Cinnamon&Citrus
Makes about 1 quart
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup Bergamot infused olive oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- Combine cream, milk, sugar and salt in a medium, heavy-bottomed sauce pan. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until the milk mixture just bubbles around the edges and the sugar dissolves.
- Remove from the heat and add the olive oil and vanilla. Stir to combine. Cool to room temperature before adding to an ice cream machine and churning following the manufacturer's instructions. You can eat right away as a softer-serve style ice cream, or place the churned ice-cream in the freezer for an hour in an airtight container to firm up. Enjoy!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best No-Bake Desserts
More Great Recipes:
Ice Cream & Frozen Desserts