Author Notes: A light, refreshing recipe using a firm, flaky omega-3 packed fish and winter's best citrus. Use a mix of Blood oranges, Cara Cara oranges and/or Navel oranges for a beautiful presentation and varied flavor profile. —Coley @ Coley Cooks
cup unsalted shelled pistachios, finely chopped
cup panko bread crumbs
Zest from 1 orange
salt and pepper to taste
ounces boneless, skinless Barramundi fillets
tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
teaspoons Dijon mustard
Oranges, any variety
smallmedium fennel bulb, plus some fronds for garnish
small red onion
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper to prevent sticking. In a small bowl, combine the pistachios, bread crumbs and orange zest. Season with salt and pepper, then mix until the zest is evenly distributed.
- Season the barramundi fillets with salt and pepper on both sides. Drizzle a small amount of olive oil on the prepared baking sheet, then place the filets on top, leaving at least two inches between them.
- Smear one teaspoon of dijon mustard on the top side of each filet, then divide the pistachio mixture evenly amongst each. Gently press the mixture down to form a crust, then drizzle with a little bit of olive oil.
- Bake for about 10-15 minutes (depending on thickness), or until the fish is opaque in the middle and easily flakes apart. Be careful not to overcook.
- While the fish is cooking, prepare the salad. Slice the top and bottom off each orange to reveal the flesh. Place the oranges cut side down on a cutting board and use your knife remove the peel and as much white pith as possible. Turn the peeled oranges on their sides and slice into rounds.
- Use a sharp knife or mandolin to shave the fennel and red onion into very thin slices. Arrange the oranges, fennel and red onion on a platter, layering the fennel and onion in between the slices of orange. Season well with salt and pepper, then drizzle 3 tablespoons olive oil over top. When the fish is cooked through, use a spatula to carefully remove each filet from the baking sheet and place over the fennel orange salad. Garnish with scattered fennel fronds. Serve immediately.