If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: It’s hard to resist the intoxicating chocolate aromas of a fresh-baked lava cake especially when it’s this easy to make.
Making a lava cake has become as notorious as a baking a soufflé and this recipe puts that rumor rest. This cake is one of the simplest to make and one of the most delicious with only 5 ingredients that you are sure to already have in your kitchen. That being said, it is well-worth seeking out your favorite chocolate for this homemade masterpiece.
This lava cake is both sweet and sultry with decadent chocolate liquid engulfed in a light and moistly rich chocolate cake. Pair it with the slightly bitter vanilla chantilly cream and savory roasted pistachios and you have a dessert that will leave you wanting more.
—My French Chef
Serves: 4 people
grams dark chocolate, 55%
grams unsalted butter
grams "cake" flour
- Preheat the oven to 180C. Grease the 4 custard cups or similar size rings with butter. If you are using cups, sprinkle with a bit of flour. For the rings, line a baking tray with baking paper. Place on the baking tray.
- Use a double boiler to melt the dark chocolate and butter. (If you do not have a double boiler, simmer a few inches of water in a sauce pan. Place the chocolate and butter in a metal bowl on top of the sauce pan to gently melt the mixture.)
- Remove the bowl from the heat and begin to whisk the mixture and the eggs together one by one until incorporated. Add the sugar and mix well. Then add the flour and mix until well blended.
- Divide the batter evenly among the custard cups or rings. Bake for 10-12 mins until the sides are firm and the centers are soft.
- Rest for 1 minute. Then gently remove the cake from the cup or rings onto the serving plate.
- Serve warm with a spoon of chantilly and the roasted pistachios. Garnish with a bit of white chocolate, if desired.
Roasted Pistachio & Tonka Bean Chantilly
grams pistachios, deshelled
gram tonka bean
grams heavy cream
grams powdered sugar
- If roasting the pistachios, do so before beginning the lava cake. Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Place the deshelled pistachios in an even layer on a baking tray. Roast for 2-3 minutes. Remove the tray from the oven and cool at room temperature.
- Once the pistachios are cool, crush them into small pieces and set aside.
- While the lava cake is in the oven, finely grate the tonka beans for the chantilly.
- In a sturdy mixing bowl, whisk all the ingredients except for the pistachios together at medium speed until soft peaks begin to form. Reserve in the refrigerator in a covered container for up to 2 days.