Author Notes: Shortbread crust topped with dulce de leche, dark chocolate and flaked sea salt —Oh Sweet Day!
Makes: 16 squares
cup unsalted butter, softened
cup powdered sugar
teaspoon vanilla extract
cup all purpose flour
cup store brought or home-made dulce de leche
grams dark chocolate, cut into chunks
cup unsalted butter
tablespoons flaked sea salt
- Grease an 8×8 inch pan. Line pan with parchment paper with a few inches overhang off the sides.
- Cream butter and powdered sugar in a bowl of a standing mixer until light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla.
- Sift in flour and salt. Reduce the speed to low and beat in the flour mixture until just incorporated.
- Pat the mixture into the bottom of the prepared pan to form a crust. Poke holes into crust using a small fork. Place pan in freezer for 30 minutes to chill.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Bake the shortbread crust for 18 to 20 minutes. Let cool completely.
- Spoon the dulce de leche over the cooled shortbread crust. Smooth the top with an offset spatula. Place pan in fridge to set for 15 minutes.
- Melt chocolate and butter in microwave gradually, 10 second intervals and stirring in-between until very smooth.
- Pour chocolate over the set dulce le leche and smooth with a spatula.
- Place pan back in fridge for 15 minutes to set the chocolate.
- Lift up with edges of parchment paper to remove the whole cookie from pan. Cut into squares. Sprinkles sea salt on top and serve.