If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This recipe came about quite by accident. It was one of those, "Gotta make dinner. What's in the fridge" nights. I had been experimenting with duck for a few weeks so there was a plethora of duck products staring at me. I was really too tired to stand around the kitchen for any length of time and the duck confit was already cooked, so that won the "protein" sweepstakes. After that, the dish really just came together quite quickly. Originally I made full size quesadillas. But the dish turned out so yummy I started making mini versions for parties. —Jodi Taffel
Makes 24 mini quesadillas
- 1 large ripe avocado
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- juice and zest of 1 lime
- 1/2 cup Mexican Crema (or sour cream)
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 pound duck confit, skin & bones removed
- 1 small jalapeño pepper
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo
- 1 small red onion
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 6 large flour tortillas
- 1/2 cup Queso Fresco
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- edible flower petals or garnish (optional)
- Scoop flesh from the avocado and mash it with garlic powder, onion powder, lime juice and lime zest until smooth. Fold in the sour cream Salt and pepper to taste. Transfer to a piping bag and set aside.
- Shred duck meat with your hands (or 2 forks, if you prefer). Place duck meat in a skillet set over medium heat and cook 5 minutes, until warmed through.
- Mince the jalapeño, removing the seeds and ribs. Mince the chipotle pepper and red onion. Add the jalapeño, chipotle pepper, red onion, lentils, cumin, and turmeric to the skillet with the duck confit and fold thoroughly to combine. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Using a 2-inch round cookie cutter cut each large tortilla into 4 smaller ones. Fill each small tortilla with about 1 tablespoon of duck mixture, top with about 1 teaspoon of queso fresco and fold in half.
- Brush a small amount of oil onto a skillet set over medium heat and cook mini quesadillas until the insides are warm and the tortillas are lightly browned.
- Top each quesadilla with a dollop of avocado crema, Garnish with an edible flower petal and serve.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Appetizer to Share with Friends