If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: The way I like persimmons most (so far)—and the best accompaniment to a grilled cheese. —Caroline Lange
Makes 1 16-ounce mason jar
- 2 firm, smooth Fuyu persimmons (Hachiya persimmons will not work for this)
- 1 cup apple cider or rice vinegar (or a combination of the two)
- 1 inch of fresh ginger, grated
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 big pinches of red pepper flakes
- Cut the ends off the persimmons, peel, and slice into disks (I got 4 to 5 disks out of each persimmon). Quarter each disk. Pack the slices in a clean 16-ounce mason jar with a lid.
- Prepare the brine: Bring all other ingredients to a simmer in a small saucepan, then remove from heat.
- Pour the brine over the persimmons, screw on the lid, and put it in the refrigerator. They'll be ready to eat after a day, but will be great (and will intensify in vinegary-ness) for a week or longer.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!