- Makes one 7-inch cake
If you find cake decorating intimidating, you might want to try making this cake. Because technically what you have to do is to roll and frost the cake. No decorating. And it’s pretty safe to make it in advance as it stays fresh after 2 days covered in fridge. So you bring the cake over to your friends, they might not pay attention to it until they cut into it. Da Da! What a beautiful surprise inside! —Oh Sweet Day!
large eggs, separated
BLACK SESAME WHIPPED CREAM
black sesame powder
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line a 12 x 17 inch baking pan with parchment paper.
- Sift flour, matcha powder and baking powder.
- Use an electric hand mixer to beat egg whites and 1/4 cup sugar until stiff peaks form.
- In another bowl, beat the egg yolks until color is lightened. Add the remaining sugar and continue beating until the mixture becomes thick and pale.
- Add milk and beat to combine.
- Fold in flour mixture until combine.
- Gently fold in 1/3 of the egg whites until incorporated into the green tea batter. Then fold in the remaining egg whites until no whites remain.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Spread the batter evenly. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, or until springy to touch.
- When the pan is cool to handle (but the cake is still warm), invert the cake on a clean dish towel on your working surface. Remove the top parchment paper carefully. Then roll the cake while it’s still warm, starting from the shorter edge. Let it cool (wrapped) completely.
- To prepare the whipped cream, beat the cream until soft peaks form, then add the powdered sugar and black sesame powder. Continue beating until firm peaks form.
- When the cake is completely cool, unroll the cake, and cut it vertically into 3 stripes, each about 3 inches wide.
- Spread whipped cream on top of each stripe.
- Re-roll the cake starting with the first stripe until the end of it. Continue rolling by place the cake roll on top of the edge of another stripe. Repeat with the last stripe.
- Place the whole cake on a serving plate. Frost it generously with the remaining whipped cream.
- Chill until ready to serve.