pound dry white beans
medium/large onions finely chopped
carrots cut into slices
of a bunch of celery (stalks and leaves chopped)
cup olive oil
cup diced tomatoes
tablespoon tomato paste
salt & pepper
- Rinse the beans, place them in a saucepan with cold water and bring over medium heat.
- Cook until they start to boil and then remove and drain.
- Add fresh cold water (to cover) and sugar. Cook for about 25’.
- Reduce the heat to low and cook for about 15’. Add water if necessary.
- Add carrots, stalks of celery, diced tomatoes, tomato paste and cook for another 30’.
- Add olive oil, leaves of celery, tabasco, salt and pepper and cook until beans are soft and creamy.
- Note: The total cooking time depends on beans quality and usually takes 1 to 1.5 hours. Also, the quantity of water that soup needs depends on the desired consistency.