If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: a vegan scone that uses up season fresh fruit.
i’ve made these with organic and conventional cranberries. i’ve used 1 package of ocean spray which was 12oz, and i’ve used organic which came in a 6 oz package. it made no difference in the end result, though the batch with the lesser amount was less tart. basically, use as little as 6 oz, or as much as 12 oz. how’s that for not exact science baking? —Lan | MoreStomach
Makes: 12 scones
package fresh cranberries, 6 - 12oz
cup brown sugar, not packed
cups AP flour
teaspoons baking powder
2 organic oranges
cup chopped candied ginger
tablespoons chilled coconut oil, cut into pieces
cup nut based milk
- preheat oven 350ºF and line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- in food processor, pulse the cranberries with the brown sugar and orange zest. go for chunky. put in large mixing bowl, set aside.
- in food processor, pulse the AP flower, baking powder and salt. add in the coconut oil and pulse until pea-sized crumbles appear.
- mix the flour mixture with the cranberries in the mixing bowl. add the milk and stir until it just comes together.
- dust counter with a bit of flour, dump dough onto it. form a disk/thick circle. cut into quarters, and within those quarters cut 3 wedges.
- carefully transfer wedges on prepared baking sheet and bake for 40-45 minutes, rotating the baking sheet half way through.
- the edges and bottom will darken a smidge, but the interior will be tender and crumbly.
- serve warm, as is, or drizzled with icing (you can make a quick icing slurry of 2 tsp the milk used + enough powdered sugar to get a thickened but drizzly consistency, anywhere from 10-15 TBL)