Author Notes: a vegan scone that uses up season fresh fruit.
i’ve made these with organic and conventional cranberries. i’ve used 1 package of ocean spray which was 12oz, and i’ve used organic which came in a 6 oz package. it made no difference in the end result, though the batch with the lesser amount was less tart. basically, use as little as 6 oz, or as much as 12 oz. how’s that for not exact science baking? —Lan | MoreStomach
Makes: 12 scones
package fresh cranberries, 6 - 12oz
cup brown sugar, not packed
cups AP flour
teaspoons baking powder
2 organic oranges
cup chopped candied ginger
tablespoons chilled coconut oil, cut into pieces
cup nut based milk
- preheat oven 350ºF and line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- in food processor, pulse the cranberries with the brown sugar and orange zest. go for chunky. put in large mixing bowl, set aside.
- in food processor, pulse the AP flower, baking powder and salt. add in the coconut oil and pulse until pea-sized crumbles appear.
- mix the flour mixture with the cranberries in the mixing bowl. add the milk and stir until it just comes together.
- dust counter with a bit of flour, dump dough onto it. form a disk/thick circle. cut into quarters, and within those quarters cut 3 wedges.
- carefully transfer wedges on prepared baking sheet and bake for 40-45 minutes, rotating the baking sheet half way through.
- the edges and bottom will darken a smidge, but the interior will be tender and crumbly.
- serve warm, as is, or drizzled with icing (you can make a quick icing slurry of 2 tsp the milk used + enough powdered sugar to get a thickened but drizzly consistency, anywhere from 10-15 TBL)