Make this recipe the same day or better yet the night before and simply stick it into the oven the next morning, sit back and relax! Perfect for Christmas morning or any morning spent with friends & family!
Make this recipe the same day or better yet the night before and simply stick it into the oven the next morning, sit back and relax! Perfect for Christmas morning or any morning spent with friends & family!—Joni Gomes
French Toast Bake
1 + 1/4
cups Milk (Any milk will do, I use almond milk)
teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
teaspoon Ground Nutmeg
teaspoons Lemon Zest
slices of Cinnamon Raison Bread
Vegan Whipped Cream
can Full Fat Coconut Milk
- If you plan on making the vegan whipped cream, which I think is crucial and makes this dish, get a can of full fat coconut milk and stick it into the fridge. It will need to be in the fridge overnight so that the fat and liquid can separate (do not shake the can!).
- After the coconut milk is in the fridge, we can get started on the french toast bake! Crack all of the eggs directly into the baking dish and whisk thoroughly. Next, add the milk, vanilla, spices, agave or honey and whisk again until combined and lump free. If the eggs are not well whisked it will look more like a sweet egg scramble rather than a custard. Now, cut the bread into equal sized cubes and add them to the baking dish. Use a spoon to toss all of the bread cubes into the liquid, each cube should be well soaked.
- Cover the dish with aluminum foil and refrigerate for 30 minutes or up to overnight (8 hours), this is why this dish is perfect for Christmas morning! After the bread cubes have soaked in the liquid, bake it (uncovered) in a preheated 350F oven for 45-60 minutes. After the french toast bake has baked, allow it to rest for 5-10 minutes, this will give you enough time to make the vegan whipped cream and get any other desired toppings ready.
- To make the vegan whipped cream, grab the can of coconut milk and open it with a can opener...duh... Now, carefully remove the 'fat' white part with a spoon, being careful not to grab any of the coconut water. If you have not had your green juice yet, use the leftover coconut water for your green smoothie! Adding the coconut milk fat to a COLD bowl will help you with the whipping part. Grab an electric mixer and whip the coconut milk fat with about 1 tbsp of agave or honey for about 4-5 minutes or until you see stiff peaks form! It's like magic, you will enjoy it, promise!
- Time to plate up and eat!