If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Sweet blood orange curd is smothered in a meringue. This is sweet and best served for dessert. —Sylvie @ Roamingtaste
Makes 16 bars
- 3/4 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons corn flour
- 1/4 cup superfine sugar
- 2 tablespoons confectioner’s sugar
- 85 grams chilled and cubed
- Blood Orange Filling
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons blood orange juice
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped orange zest
- 2/3 cup superfine sugar
- 3 egg yolks
- Meringue topping
- 3 egg whites
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup superfine sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC/350F and line a baking tray with greaseproof paper.
- Place the flours and sugars in a bowl and stir to combine. Make a well in the center and add the butter. Combine with a fork until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Pour all the mixture into the base of a slice tin and flatten down tightly. Bake for approximately 10 minutes or until lightly golden on top. Remove and set aside.
- Meanwhile, place the orange juice, zest, sugar and egg yolks in a pot whisking to combine over medium heat until bubbling and thick. Pour over the base and bake for a further 10 minutes, until bubbling and jiggling only slightly.
- Remove and allow to cool until warm.
- Increase the temperature to 200ºC/400F. Meanwhile, place the egg whites in a bowl with the pinch of salt and beat until soft peaks form, slowly add the sugar with 1 tablespoonful amount at a time and beat until dissolved. Continue beating until all the sugar has been mixed in.
- Spoon over the orange syrup and return to the oven until golden on top, approximately 10 minutes.
- Remove and allow to cool.
- Slice and serve.