If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: The nutty depth of the almonds works so well with the tartness of the strawberries. It’s easy to adapt too and can be used with any ripe seasonal fruit; just adjust sugar levels based on the fruit’s natural sweetness. I’ve made this same crumble recipe in the past using regular flour instead of ground almonds, and thought it to be good enough to blog about. This version I admit, is SO much better. Please try it. You’ll be glad you did.
Just when you thought it couldn’t get any better – if you wanted to make this crumble on a whim, just mix all the topping ingredients together (I’ve listed them out separately below) and stash in the freezer. Strew on the prepared fruit and bake. Bonkers delicious. —Kirthana | Theblurrylime
Serves 4 - 5
For the fruit prep:
- 400 grams strawberries, hulled and halved
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon corn flour
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- Vanilla ice cream/cream, to serve
For the crumble topping:
- 250 grams ground almonds
- 80 grams un-salted butter (at room temperature), cubed
- 2 tablespoons oats
- 3 tablespoons demerara sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons flaked almonds (optional)
- Preheat oven to 180 C / 360 F.
- Toss together halved strawberries, granulated sugar, cinnamon, lime juice and cornflour in a bowl and tip into an oven-proof dish.
- In another bowl, combine ground almonds, flaked almonds, demerara sugar, oats, salt, and butter. Using your fingertips, rub the butter into the mixture until it starts to resemble coarse breadcrumbs (I like to have a combination of small clumps and fine bits for texture).
- Sprinkle the crumble topping evenly over the strawberries and bake for 30 - 40 minutes, or until slightly golden on top and the fruit juices are bubbling to the surface. Let the crumble cool for at least 10 minutes before serving.