If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Vegan spiced lentil soup —Oh Sweet Day!
Serves 4 to 6
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 28-ounce can of diced tomatoes
- 1 540-gram can of lentils, rinsed and drained
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 cup chopped fresh collard greens
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 dash Tabasco
- 1 tablespoon vegan parmesan cheese
- Heat oil in a large heave-duty pot over medium high heat. Add the onions and carrots. Cook until the onions are translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, cumin, coriander, curry powder and thyme. Cook and stir for another minute.
- Add tomatoes with the juice and cook for a few more minutes.
- Stir in lentils, broth and water. Add salt, black pepper and red pepper flakes. Bring the mixture to a boil on high heat. Cover the pot and simmer over low heat for 20 minutes.
- Add the chopped collard greens and cook for another 5 minutes, until vegetable is just softened.
- Serve immediately with a squeeze of lemon juice, Tabasco and vegan Parmesan, if desired.