If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This decadent and caffeinated brownie recipe will knock your groggy morning socks off!
Prepared in 35 minutes or less plus one hour refrigeration.
- 8 ounces fine bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 2 tablespoons Medaglia D'Oro instant espresso powder dissolved in 1 or so Tbs boiling water
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons Madagscar vanilla extract
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup flour, sifted
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped in a food processor
- In a metal bowl set over a pan of barely simmering water melt the chocolate with the butter and the espresso mixture, stirring until the mixture is smooth.
- Remove the bowl from the heat, let the mixture cool to lukewarm, and stir in the sugar and the vanilla.
- Stir in the eggs, 1 at a time, stirring well after each addition, stir in the flour and the salt, stirring until the mixture is just combined, and stir in the walnuts.
- Pour the mixture into a buttered and floured 13 x 9-inch baking pan, smooth the top, and bake the brownie layer in the middle of a preheated 350ºF oven for 22 - 25 minutes, or until a tester comes out with crumbs adhering to it. Let the brownie layer cool completely in the pan on a rack.
Cream Cheese Frosting and Espresso Chocolate Glaze
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened to room temperature
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups Confectioners' sugar, sifted
- 1 teaspoon Madagascar vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 6 ounces fine quality bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Medaglia D'Oro instant espresso powder dissolved in 1 or so Tbs boiling water
- in a bowl with an electric mixer cream together the cream cheese and the butter until the mixture is light and fluffy, add the confectioners' sugar, sifted, the vanilla, and the cinnamon, and beat the frosting until it is combined well.
- Spread the frosting evenly over the brownie layer and chill the brownies for 1 hour, or until the frosting is firm
- Over a double boiler, heat heavy cream.
- Whisk in chopped chocolate pieces and espresso until well combined. Pour chocolate espresso cream mixture over chilled brownies. Allow to chill and set before serving.