If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I have been making this at Christmas for over 30 years. I think I copied the recipe from Gourmet Magazine, but I can't find it in their recipe archives or anywhere else on line so I am claiming it as my own. It can be made in one large sauce pan. —Lynn D.
Makes at least 24 slices
Coffee spice mixture
- 2 cups strong brewed coffee
- 2 cups sugar
- 3/4 pound dark raisins
- 1/4 pound unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
To be added to cooled spice mixture
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 cup cold water
- 4 cups all purpose flour
- Add all the ingredients of the coffee spice mixture to a large saucepan which will be able to hold all the rest of the ingredients. Sometimes I add grated orange peel and ground ginger too.
- Bring to a boil over moderately high heat and then simmer, stirring occasionally for 15 minutes. It smells heavenly.
- Let this mixture cool.
- Mix the baking soda with the cold water and add it to the coffee spice mixture. Stir.
- Then add the flour 1/2 cup at a time to the coffee mixture. Stir after each addition.
- Pour into a buttered and floured angel food cake pan, 2 loaf pans or smaller loaf pans (for nice little gifts).
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven and start testing at 45 minutes or sooner if you are using small pans. When a knife inserted in center come out clean, they are done.
- Cool in pans on a rack for 15 minutes. Then unmold and continue cooling. Keeps well wrapped in foil.
- Slice in thick or thin slices to serve. Good with cream cheese or cheddar.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe Made with Coffee