I have been making this at Christmas for over 30 years. I think I copied the recipe from Gourmet Magazine, but I can't find it in their recipe archives or anywhere else on line so I am claiming it as my own. It can be made in one large sauce pan. —Lynn D.
- Makes at least 24 slices
- Coffee spice mixture
strong brewed coffee
- To be added to cooled spice mixture
all purpose flour
- Add all the ingredients of the coffee spice mixture to a large saucepan which will be able to hold all the rest of the ingredients. Sometimes I add grated orange peel and ground ginger too.
- Bring to a boil over moderately high heat and then simmer, stirring occasionally for 15 minutes. It smells heavenly.
- Let this mixture cool.
- Mix the baking soda with the cold water and add it to the coffee spice mixture. Stir.
- Then add the flour 1/2 cup at a time to the coffee mixture. Stir after each addition.
- Pour into a buttered and floured angel food cake pan, 2 loaf pans or smaller loaf pans (for nice little gifts).
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven and start testing at 45 minutes or sooner if you are using small pans. When a knife inserted in center come out clean, they are done.
- Cool in pans on a rack for 15 minutes. Then unmold and continue cooling. Keeps well wrapped in foil.
- Slice in thick or thin slices to serve. Good with cream cheese or cheddar.