If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I have high cholesterol and the one thing I find really hard to give up are baked goods. I wanted to come up with something that would satisfy my pastry craving without sending my LDL skyrocketing. This recipe uses Mazola Corn Oil Plus, flax, and baking powder and soda to take over for any egg rising properties. Bananas help with texture as well. Mazola oil and flax serve double duty as their Omega 3 fatty acids are believed to help lower cholesterol. Oats serve this purpose as well.
To make it even healthier I use agave instead of sugar. It's packed with fiber rich whole grains (whole wheat flour, oats, and flax meal) and full of potassium from the bananas. The best part, it still tastes delicious and like a treat. —viaggiatoreculinaria
- 1/4 cup Mazola Corn Oil Plus
- 2 tablespoons agave nectar
- 4 ripe medium-sized bananas
- 1/4 cup water or as needed
- 1 1/2 cups flour (I use Half White flour I can buy down at the Union Square Farmer's market on Wednesdays. You can also 3/4 cup white flour and 3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour)
- 1 cup oats
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons flax meal
- Pre-heat the oven to 350
- Mix all of the wet ingredients together in one bowl and the dry ingredients in another.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry, mixing until just combined.
- Grease and fill one large loaf pan and one mini loaf pan.
- Bake the mini loaf for 25-30 min, the large loaf for 45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.