If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Dream of warm and distant lands as you take in the exotic aromas of this sweet and savory, lightly curried winter soup. —Rachel (Simple Seasonal)
- 1 medium sweet onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (1 tsp dry)
- 1 tablespoon fresh or frozen ginger, minced (1 tsp dry)
- 1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
- 4 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup red lentils
- 1 tablespoon fresh or frozen cilantro, plus more for garnish
- 1 cube of Dorot frozen chili peppers or 1/8 tsp dry cayenne (optional)
- 8 teaspoons honey for drizzling (use agave nectar for vegan)
- salt to taste
- Cook the diced sweet onion with 2 Tbsp of vegetable oil in a large sauce pan over medium heat until the onions are soft and translucent.
- Add the ground cumin, paprika, and ground turmeric to the pot and cook for one minute, until the spices become aromatic.
- Add the minced garlic and ginger to the pot, cooking 30 more seconds. I sometimes use Dorot frozen herbs to make this step go faster. Dorot makes garlic, ginger, cilantro, and chili cubes. All of which can be used in this recipe.
- Add the diced tomatoes, vegetable broth, and red lentils to the pot. Stir to combine. Turn the heat up to high, bring to a boil, and then reduce the heat and simmer for about one hour. When the soup is done cooking, the lentils will be soft and the soup will be thick.
- When the soup is done cooking, stir in 1 Tbsp of cilantro, hot peppers (optional), and salt to taste. Garnish with additional cilantro and drizzle with honey. Serve immediately or cool and refrigerate to be reheated later.