If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Vegetable fritters are encountered frequently in Greece.In most cases, they are merely pieces of vegetables, batter-dipped and fried,very tasty,but far from spectacular.On the other hand,the Gourases' version of zucchini fritters-tiny patties, formed with a thick, batterlike fusion of shredded zucchini, onion, grated cheese, mint, and other seasonings
Are unique and quite unforgettable. —Yanni Tobas
Makes about 20 fritters
- 6 Medium Zucchini (about 3 pounds)
- 1 Small Onion
- 4 Scallions Finely chopped
- 2 Eggs
- 1/4 cup Kefalotiri or Parmesan Cheese
- 1/4 cup Feta Cheese
- 2 tablespoons Finely Chopped Fresh Mint
- 1/4 cup All-purpose Flour
- 1/4 cup Bread Crumbs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch Black Pepper
- Regular Olive oil or Vegetable oil for Frying
- Shred the zucchini and onion into a colander. Add the salt and toss together until well blended. Place the colander over a bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and allow to drain for 12 hours or overnight in the refrigerator. Place the zucchini mixture in the center of a cotton kitchen towel and squeeze out as much of the remaining moisture as possible. Turn the mixture into a large bowl. Beat the eggs in a small bowl with the cheeses, mint, pepper and scallions. Stir into the zucchini until well blended. Mix the all-purpose flour and bread crumbs on a sheet of waxed paper. Stir into the zucchini mixture, a tablespoon at a time, until the mixture holds together and can be formed into patties measuring about 2 inches in diameter and 3/8 inch thick. (the fritters can be made ahead up to this point and chilled for several hours before frying) Just before frying, sprinkle the granulated flour on a sheet of waxed paper and lightly dredge the fritters. Pour enough oil into a large skillet to measure about 1/8 inch. When it ripples, add the fritters and fry until well browned on both sides, adjusting the heat as necessary, for 5 to 6 minutes total cooking time. The cooked fritters can be held in a 200°F oven while the remainder are being fried. Serve hot.