Author Notes: These little bites are full of protein and chocolatey goodness held together by the magic of sweet, sticky dates. The recipe is based on the Chocolate Fudge Bites from Running with Spoons. My alterations here are substituting plain protein powder for the oats and the addition of a little vanilla extract and salt. I’ve also modified the amounts to make a smaller batch.
Read more on my blog: https://whateverpieces.wordpress.com/2015/08/24/fudgy-protein-bites/ —Stephanie H.
Makes: 10-12 bites
Medjool dates, pitted
tablespoons creamy peanut butter
tablespoons cocoa powder
teaspoons vanilla extract
cups plain protein powder (I used Bob's Red Mill Whey Protein)
sprinkles, additional cocoa powder or powdered sugar to garnish
- Place the dates, peanut butter, cocoa powder, vanilla and salt in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse a few times and then process until ingredients combine into a sticky mixture.
- Scrape the mixture into a bowl and add the protein powder. Knead it in with your hands until a smooth dough forms. Let sit 5-10 minutes if you have time.
- Press the dough out into a rectangle and divide into 10-12 equal-sized pieces. Roll each piece between your palms to make a small ball.
- Optional: Garnish each ball by rolling it in powdered sugar, cocoa or sprinkles.
- Store, covered, in the fridge.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Dried Fruit