Author Notes: A 5-ingredient cake recipe that I received from my mom and have always loved this cake. It has the consistency of a mousse, but is really a cake. I think it is halfway between a soufflé and a cake. It has an airy texture and rich chocolate flavor without being too sweet…. so delicious! You could use a cup for cup flour to make this cake gluten-free. —Virginie Degryse
cup chopped semi-sweet chocolate
cup coconut sugar
- Preheat oven 350F.
- Melt the chocolate and butter together and let cool at room temperature.
- Separate the eggs and beat the yolks with the sugar until it turns light yellow.
- Beat the egg whites until soft peaks.
- Gently fold the egg whites into the chocolate.
- When combined add the yolks and finally add the sifted flour.
- Put in a greased round cake pan and bake for 20-25 minutes, it should still be soft in the middle, which means your knife should not come out too clean... I like it best when it is a bit gooey.