If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This aren't your ordinary sugar cookies! The addition of mini chocolate chips makes rolling this dough out a snap, and the dried cranberries compliment the semisweet chocolate.
Recipe inspired by the Chocolate Chip Roll-Out Cookies in Sugarbakers Cookie Cutter Cookbook by Diana Collingwood Butts —primarycookies
Makes about 2 dozen cookies
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup semisweet mini chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries, roughly chopped
- Make the dough: In the bowl of a stand mixer, or in a large bowl using a hand mixer, cream together the butter and sugars on medium speed for a couple minutes, until light and fluffy. Add in the egg yolk and vanilla and continue to mix on low speed until the yolk is thoroughly mixed in. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flours, the baking powder and the salt. Add the dry mix to the wet in 3 additions, and mix only until combined. Using a large wooden spoon, stir in the chocolate chips along with the dried cranberries. Form dough into 2 discs and wrap in plastic wrap. Chill for at least 30 minutes before rolling out and baking.
- Roll out the dough: Remove one chilled disc of dough from the fridge at a time and carefully roll out over a floured surface. If the dough is too cold to roll, let sit out on the counter for about 5 minutes and try again. The magic of this dough is that the mini chocolate chips prevent you from rolling the dough out too thin – roll out until the dough is just as tall as the chip. Use a 2 inch cookie cutter of your choice to cut out as many cookies as you are able. Re-roll the scraps of dough and reuse, before repeating with the second disc of chilled dough.
- Bake the cookies: Preheat the oven to 350°F and line a couple of baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone mats. Arrange the cookies about an inch apart and bake for about 10 minutes, until the tops and edges are golden brown. Let cool completely.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Dried Fruit
More Great Recipes: Cookies