If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Cheddar and green chile cornmeal waffles topped with fresh tomato salsa, avocado and poached eggs —Sarah | Wisconsin from Scratch
Makes 3 waffles
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, cut into small pieces
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- 1 tablespoon chopped green onions
- 1 small jalapeño pepper, finely chopped (seeded if less heat desired)
- 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
- pinch of salt
Waffles and Assembly
- 2 large green chile peppers (such as Anaheim), halved lengthwise and seeded
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Additional toppings: poached eggs, sliced avocado, cilantro sprigs and/or hot sauce
- Make the salsa by combining all salsa ingredients in a bowl and stirring together until well mixed. Let salsa sit while you make the waffles.
- Roast green chiles: place peppers, skin side up, in a single layer on a baking sheet lined with foil. Place baking sheet on top rack in oven and broil on high until peppers are blackened and blistering, about 10-12 minutes.
- Immediately transfer peppers to a bowl and cover tightly with plastic wrap. Let peppers sit inside the bowl for 5-10 minutes (this steams them, which will make the skins much easier to remove).
- Peel charred skins off of peppers, discard skins and chop peppers into small pieces.
- While peppers are steaming, mix up your waffle batter. Stir together the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, and salt together in a medium bowl. Add in the milk, egg, and melted butter and mix well.
- Fold in the shredded cheddar cheese and chopped roasted chile peppers.
- Preheat waffle iron, and once hot, pour on ⅓ of the batter and cook according to your waffle iron’s instructions. Repeat with the remaining batter - you should end up with 3 waffles total.
- Serve waffles topped with fresh salsa, and any and all other toppings you can think of. My combo of salsa, avocado, poached egg, cilantro, and hot sauce is pretty darn awesome - highly recommend.
More Great Recipes: Breakfast & Brunch