If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Pears poached in red wine is a heavenly delight. Because the right choice of wine brings out all the goodness in pears. And Primitivo (especially Primitivo di Manduaria) is one of the best candidates with the notes of plum and sweet spices. —Zeynep Talu
- 4 pears (preferably Conference or Bosc)
- 250 milliliters good quality red wine (preferably Primitivo di Manduria)
- 100 milliliters water
- 90 grams brown sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 Bourbon vanilla pod
- 2 cardamom pods
- Peel the pears. Feel free to leave them whole or halved and cored.
- Combine all the ingredients, except pears, in a saucepan over medium heat and stir until the sugar is completely dissolved.
- Add the pears to the liquid and cook until they are soft. You may need to place a baking paper over the pears to keep them from staying out of the liquid.
- Let the pears cool in the wine mixture until served. And serve with a mild vanilla sauce.