If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: shichimi togarishi, or japanese 7 spice, is basically savory confetti! while wonderfully versatile, it is not always easy to find in most grocery stores. after i came up empty-handed one too many times, i decided to whip up my own blend to keep on hand. i like to use a mix of black and white sesame seeds and keep them whole for a little bit of bite. —angie pech
Makes about 1 cup
- 3 tablespoons dried orange peel
- 2 tablespoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 tablespoons sesame seeds (white and/or black)
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 3 tablespoons crushed nori flakes
- 2 tablespoons black pepper
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- combine all ingredients in a small food processor until the nori resembles the size of the crushed red pepper.
- alternatively, you can grind each ingredient separately using a mortar and pestal (i like to keep the sesame seeds whole) and combine all together in a small bowl.
- enjoy your savory confetti sprinkled on eggs, edamame, popcorn, avocado toast, steamed rice, noodles, etc. the possibilities are endless!
- keep in sealed container for up to a month.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Sesame
More Great Recipes: Condiments