Author Notes: Peanut butter and chocolate are a match made in heaven. This healthy slice filled with good nuts, dates, honey and chocolate is a keeper for your peanut butter lovin' friends. —Jasmine Ann Gardiner:: The Gluten Free Scallywag
grams almond meal (2cups)
grams pitted dates (1/3cup)
grams desiccated coconut (1/2cup)
tablespoons coconut oil
Peanut Butter 'Caramel' Layer
grams natural peanut butter (2/3cup) smooth or creamy
tablespoons honey (use rice malt or maple syrup for a vegan version)
grams raw peanuts (1/3cup)
grams 72% dark chocolate
- Line the base and sides of a 13 x 21cm tin with baking paper.
- Place all of the base ingredients in a food processor and blitz until combined. The mixture should stick together then pressed against the side. Add the second tablespoon of coconut oil if needed, as it should be to dry or it will crumble.
- Press firmly into the prepared tin and smooth the top. Place in the freezer to set for 20minutes.
- Remove the base from the freezer, it needs to have set for about 20minutes or you will pull up the base when you spread the caramel over it. Scatter the peanuts over the base and pour the peanut butter caramel over the top.
- Pour over the melted chocolate and smooth the top. For an even chocolate top tap the tin a few times on your bench and give the tin a little shake to smooth it out.
- Cover and return to the freezer for an hour to set.
- Remove from the freezer and cut into portions. Store covered in the freezer for 2 weeks, allow 10-15minutes for the slice to 'warm' up if eating from the freezer. Will also keep covered, in the fridge for 5 days.