Author Notes: These miniature roll cakes are light and airy, with a rich traditional sweet filling made with adzuki beans. I made the adzuki bean filling, but it can also be purchased canned at any Japanese grocery store. Regular whipped cream with strawberries would also be a great filling! —JC
grams cake flour
grams matcha green tea powder
grams vegetable oil
grams granulated sugar
grams adzuki bean filling
teaspoon cream of tartar
- For instructions on how to make adzuki bean filling, refer to http://www.justonecookbook.com/how_to/how-to-make-anko-red-bean-paste.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line a quarter baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Whisk together the matcha powder, milk, half of the sugar, cake flour, and egg yolks.
- In a separate bowl and using an electric mixer, beat egg whites, remaining sugar, and cream of tartar until the whites are fluffy with soft peaks.
- Fold half of the egg whites into the yolk mixture carefully, then fold in the rest of the egg whites.
- Pour the batter into a quarter sheet pan, then bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let the cake cool completely (if you try to roll the cake while warm, it will crack easily).
- Turn cake over onto another piece of parchment paper, then spread the filling evenly. Carefully roll up the cake in the parchment paper, then refrigerate for at least 30 minutes to set the roll.
- Slice and enjoy!