Author Notes: Inspired by Chinese candied sweet potatoes that are traditionally deep-fried then coated with caramelized sugar, these easy oven-baked fries have a crispy candy coating that is addictive and delicious! —JC
tablespoons vegetable oil
tablespoons granulated sugar
black or white sesame seeds (preferably toasted)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Cut sweet potatoes into thin strips, then pat with paper towel to remove any moisture. Place them in a large food storage bag. Pour oil into the bag and toss to coat the sweet potatoes evenly. Add sugar into the bag, then toss to coat sugar evenly.
- Evenly arrange the sweet potato pieces on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake for about 15 minutes, until slightly browned and cooked through.
- Sprinkle sesame seeds on hot sweet potato fries.
- Let the candy coating harden by allowing the fries to cool. Enjoy!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Sesame