With biltong billed as one of the top health food trends of 2016*, Cruga Biltong has created the ultimate healthy Easter egg alternative, perfect for those looking for something savory and delicious on Easter Sunday!
The Cruga Biltong Scotch Egg offers an alternative to the classic chocolate Easter egg that’s both delicious and healthy. Made just like a traditional scotch egg, the Cruga Biltong Scotch Egg includes a whole boiled egg coated in crushed avocado with a touch of chilli, rolled in a crumb coat of chilli biltong and pumpkin seeds. Not only does this mouthwatering creation satisfy the taste buds but packs a punch of protein with every bite!
Cruga Biltong has partnered with Development Chef Ellie Coughlan to create this tasty Easter egg alternative and has revealed the recipe to make your own! —Jane Hill
Chilli Beef Biltong (2x packets)
Salt and pepper
· Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F
· Spread 20g of pumpkin seeds on a baking tray and bake at 180°C/350°F for 5 minutes until the seeds are golden brown
· Peel shell off boiled egg and leave to one side
· Remove the skin and stone from the avocado and place in bowl
· Use a fork to mash the avocado until smooth and sprinkle chilli flakes on top
· Tip the Chilli Beef Biltong and cooled pumpkin seeds into the food processor and blend to crumbs
· Pour the Chilli Beef Biltong and pumpkin seed mix onto plate and leave to one side
· Add the wholemeal breadcrumbs into the bowl with avocado, add a pinch of salt and pepper and mix with fork
· Take the avocado mix and flatten between your hands
· Make sure the egg is dry, then wrap the mixture around it, molding it to completely cover the egg
· Once covered gently roll in the Chilli Beef Biltong and pumpkin seed crumb mix to coat
· Place on plate and refrigerate for 30 minutes
· Garnish with remaining pumpkin seeds and rocket to serve
See what other Food52ers are saying.