Author Notes: This recipe was inspired by Buddy's Pizza in Detroit. Buddy's is famous for it's "Detroit Style" deep dish pizza with its crusty edges, open crumb, and sauce on top of the cheese. I opted for the cheese on top of the sauce this time, but either way it's delicious! If you're ever in the Detroit area, be sure to stop by a Buddys. - jdague —jdague
Food52 Review: The Motor City pizza is simply delicious. As a disclaimer, I have to say that I've never eaten Detroit pizza before, so I don't have any way of telling how "authentic" it was, but in any case, it was very tasty. I was a bit skeptical about the dough at first, because it was unlike any other pizza dough I've made and it didn't seem to be rising properly (compared to other doughs) but it came out great -- crunchy and tangy. The addition of the cheddar to the standard mozzarella was excellent, and the 1 cup of sauce (I used Fairway brand pizza sauce) was just the right amount. I'd make this again in a heartbeat, and would probably add some peppers and onions next time. Top notch, all the way. - lechef —The Editors
cups plus 3 Tablespoons All purpose flour
cup plus 1 Tablespoon Water
teaspoon Instant dry yeast
ounces Sharp white cheddar
cup Parmigiano Reggiano
cup Pizza sauce
- Dissolve salt in water, add flour, sprinkle yeast on top. In a stand mixer with dough hook attachment, mix on lowest speed until incorporated then continue on this speed for 8 minutes. Let rest 20 minutes to relax then scrape into greased 10 x 14 black steel pan (or 9 x 13), spread, cover with plastic wrap, & place in refrigerator over night. The dough will be very wet. This is ok.
- Remove pan from refrigerator 2 - 3 hours before baking and place in a warm area to rise.
- Preheat oven to 460 degrees. Uncover the dough and bake the dough for 2 - 3 minutes. Remove from oven and top with sauce, mozzarella, & sharp cheddar. Sprinkle the Parmigiano Reggiano around the edges to create the crispy edges. Top with toppings of your choice.
- Continue baking for another 10-12 minutes or until golden.
- Carefully slide pizza from pan and on to a cooling rack for a couple minutes.