Author Notes: Lemon bars are a classic. Buttery, shortbread topped by bright lemon curd. But, these Meyer lemon bars are my new classic. A salty, buttery crust that stays crisp for days and an absolutely silky curd made from Meyer lemons adds a more complex and less acidic flavor than more traditional recipes. —add1tbsp
Makes: 9 large 3-inch bars
SALTY SHORTBREAD CRUST
cup granulated sugar
cups all-purpose flour
cup unsalted butter
teaspoon sea salt + more for sprinkling
MEYER LEMON FILLING
cup all-purpose flour
cups granulated sugar
cups Meyer lemon juice
zest of a Meyer lemon
pinches kosher salt
- Make the Crust: Preheat the oven to 350°F and butter a 10×10-inch baking pan. While the oven preheats, bring the butter to room temperature. It should be soft where you can easily press your thumb into it.
- Add the butter, flour, sugar, and salt to the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Cream the butter mixture on low until blended and a smooth dough forms, about 1 minute.
- Transfer the dough to the buttered pan. Use your fingers or a measuring cup to press an even 1/4-inch thick layer into the bottom. Sprinkle an extra pinch or two of sea salt on top for extra saltiness. Prick the bottom of the crust all over with a fork to prevent bubbles.
- Bake the crust in the center rack until deeply golden brown, about 30 minutes.
- Make the Filling: While the crust bakes, make the filling. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour and sugar. Add the lemon juice and zest and stir until dissolved.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs and salt. Add the eggs to the lemon juice mixture and whisk vigorously until well blended, about 1 minute.
- When the crust is golden brown, pour the filling directly onto the hot crust right from the oven. Put the pan back in the oven and reduce the temperature to 300°F. Bake until the center of the filling is just set, about 35 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the oven and let cool on a wire rack, about 15 minutes. Cover and cool in the refrigerator until completely chilled, about 2 hours. Cut into squares and dust with confectioners’ sugar. Lemon bars will keep in an airtight container for 3 to 4 days.