If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Adapted from New Mexico Magazine. And the "Gold" in the title is referring to our friend, Mr. Tequila. Yep, these babies have a little nip or two in them. Of course, the hooch will evaporate during the baking process, but the flavor that you get will inspire you to get out your maracas and fire up the Mariachi Band! But wait, that's not all. This recipe also calls for some Grand Marnier, too. It just keeps getting better and better. Right?
And, if you are worried about the tea-totalers in your life, don't. If you keep your lips zipped, they will never know. They'll only think they are the best cupcakes ever! —vivisue
Serves 12 cupcakes
- 3/4 cup Unsalted Butter (12 Tblsp)
- 1 1/2 cups Powdered Sugar
- 3 teaspoons finely grated Orange Peel
- 2 large Eggs
- 1 1/4 cups self-rising Flour, divided
- 1/4 cup Buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons Gold Tequila
- 2 tablespoons Grand Marnier
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Insert paper liners in 12 muffin cups.
- In large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat butter, 1 1/2 cups sugar, and 3 teaspoons orange zest until blended, then beat until fluffy and pale yellow.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating until well blended after each.
- Beat in half of the flour.
- Beat in half of the flour, then add buttermilk, tequila and Grand Marnier. I was out of Grand Marnier, so I substituted 1 Tbsp of whiskey and 1 Tbsp of Vanilla. Worked great! Beat to blend. Then beat in remaining flour.
- Divide batter equally among the 12 muffin cups and bake for about 20 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted comes out clean. Let cupcakes cool while preparing the Lime Zest Icing.
Lime Zest Icing
- 3/4 cup powdered Sugar
- 1 package Cream Cheese (8 oz)
- 1 tablespoon fresh Lime Juice
- 1 teaspoon finely grated Lime Peel
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 cup Whipping Cream
- In food processor, blend sugar, cream cheese, lime juice, lime zest, and vanilla; then pulse. Blend in enough shipping cream to form thick but spreadable icing.
- Ice cupcakes and garnish with orange zest, lime zest, and/or turbinado sugar.
More Great Recipes: